Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Discussion about Morgan and ADHD.



I am the mother of the most beautiful 4 1/2 year old girl. She can be amazing in so many ways. Right this moment she climbed on my lap and said "kisses mommy kisses" and then she said "I love you." and gave me a big sloppy kiss on my cheek. Which is so great, but then she proceeded to wiggle and try to push as many buttons on the keyboard as possible and then jump down and run away. Anyhow I am writing this because just yesterday Jamey and I took her to her yearly well child checkup and the doctor asked if she knew her alphabet? I said no. Then she asked about colors, shapes, her name, and all the things that a soon to be five year old should know to start kindergarten. My thoughts went to embarrassment because I know she should know all this stuff and as her mother I am in charge of her learning these things. Colby knew all this and more by this age and I just can't get her to settle down long enough to learn anything. Today we tried to play candy land and after about the tenth time of telling her the color yellow I was frustrated and I could see that she was mad at herself for not remembering. Her Doctor brought up A.D.H.D. or attention deficit hyper activity disorder. We had joked about her having this before because she is always on the go like the energizer bunny, but I was not real worried until now. The doctor gave me a packet that was all about ADHD and showed me the questions that they ask to diagnose it. She also said that unless I think she won't be ready for school, we should just watch it until she starts kindergarten. Well we took the packet and went on our marry way and when we looked at the questions they were rated 0 being no problem and 4 being very often, well the first 30 questions or so the answers were all 3's and 4's. This got me supper worried. Do I need to do something about this now or do I wait until she starts kindergarten and hope she is not to far behind? I looked up a few things on the Internet trying to see if I could make some dietary changes that would help and alot of newer studies have shown that it only helps in 5% of kids. There were a few studies showing that psychiatric help may be beneficial, so we may try these things. What I really need is any experience or help that any of you (my friends and family) might have. Leave me comments or call me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Jill I have dealt with children with ADHD and all I can say is the sooner you get her diagnosed the better off she will be. I do know that the medications can cause more problems than they actually help. Both families that I know who have children with ADHD manage it with diet and/or psychiatric therapy. Both of these children I had or have in my daycare and they can learn and often times are very smart. It is just a matter of being able to focus their energy long enough to teach them. One of these kids I started watching when he was Morgan's age. I kept his preschool sessions short and sweet and tried to make them as fun as possible. There were times I may have only kept his attention for five minutes at a time, but when you do that up to ten times a day you can teach them a lot.

Codi said...

Jill, I'm so excited to see you back blogging! (click on my name and you can see our blog, we have missed you!) The same thing happened with me, we took Adam to his well child and they said, "ADHD." Of course we saw the NP and not our original doctor, so I just blew it off. I also told the NP that he coughs a lot and might have asthma, so she instantly prescribed me an inhaler, I didn't really like that. I seriously think all kids born around the time that Morgan and Adam were born are crazy, energetic, loveable, great little kids. I really don't know how I feel about any medication, etc. I suck at saying things in writing, so if you want to talk you can email me to get my phone number! :) It's codiweeks@gmail.com Hope to hear from you soon and to see some more posting!